I had a reader ask me an interesting questions yesterday: If I only had five items in my wardrobe what would they be? Building a fresh wardrobe can be expensive without focus & vision. I want to pin-point the five things every woman should have in theirs, regardless of their age, size or color, that will make you fashion forward & ever-ready for whatever the day holds without breaking the bank. Let’s do it…
1. Dark [or black] Denim; dark & black denim take any outfit & crank it up a notch. It helps hide problem areas in the legs, it transitions easily from day to night & frankly, it just looks more polished & put together. I recommend a wide-legged dark blue wash, which makes any woman’s legs look 10 miles long & a skinny pair of black denim, which thins out your legs & makes for a fashion-forward look.
2. A Good Blazer; I say “good” because these trending cropped, neon blazers aren’t exactly what I mean [however, they are fun for Spring & Summer]. Today we’re talking staple pieces that will never fail you & a fantastic NEUTRAL blazer will always have your back. Personally, I choose blazers that hit me directly at my hip, allowing the top I choose to layer it with to peak out from underneath [from the rear view]. Style has a lot to do with creating definition & texture to your outfits & showing that you know how to layer & work pieces together gives you a leg up. As far as colors go, stick to whites [my personal favorite], creams, blacks & taupes, as these will transition easily throughout your entire wardrobe.
3. The Perfect LBD; Little Black Dresses are life savers when you’re mid-panic attack before a first date or night out with friends. They’re slimming, versatile as ever & pair with basically any shoe, jacket, hat, etc. The best part of an LBD is how much freedom you have with styling them. There are basically no rules or limits with accessories, pops of color or even hairstyles. My favorite way to dress up this look is with a huge statement necklace, a blazer & a great pair of heels. The only concern you should have with this wardrobe staple is fit; if you don’t feel beautiful in it, it’s not the right one.
4. A Mega Necklace; this doesn’t have to mean a large necklace, but rather a piece that you gasp over. Personally, my knees tend to give out over big, gold, layered necklaces [or layering your own few favorites], but you could also fall madly in love with a simple drop necklace or beaded number. Whatever your piece is, be sure it holds longevity & can transition from piece to piece in your wardrobe. No outfit is complete without accessories; they are what bring an outfit together & help define your look.
5. The Perfect Handbag; this is the icing on the cake for every single look, every single day. Finding a bag that will move fluidly from look to look can be hard, which is why I recommend staying within the neutral family; black, taupe, grey, nude, or even lavender or periwinkle. You want the most wear from your purchase so be sure you will love it a few seasons after you buy & more so, that it works with your lifestyle. I know personally I often carry my iPad with me, alongside a laundry list of other things, thus a tiny handbag just isn’t an option for me, so I opt for totes & satchels more often than not. But be sure to be practical with this wardrobe selection, as it will see more wear & tear than anything else in your closet.
If you buy nothing else this season than these five key items, I promise you will feel confident & ever-ready for your day. As fun as shopping is & as addicting as it can be to keep adding pieces to your wardrobe, a true fashionista only needs a handful of great pieces to speak volumes for her style.
Happy Hunting, megababes. Xx.