The Friend Zone
You know that terribly awkward place between what is & what should be. The noncommittal place where making any kind of move seems sudden & unprepared. The grey area that seems safer than anything finite. Yeah. This place. This is what I call February & March.
What? You ask.
The seven weeks between Winter & Spring that should [frankly] be their own damn season. Where you constantly feel uncomfortable because none of your clothes breathe enough, or keep you warm enough, or let in enough air…the list goes on & on. Regardless, it’s the annoying friend zone of the fashion world that you want to get out of as quickly as humanly possible. & I’m here to not only help that transition, but help you enjoy it, too.
There are five small changes you can make to prepare for this awful land of limbo. Let’s get to it.
1. Lessen The Load: swap out those heavy wool layers & opt for lighter fabrics. Layering with softer, light-weight fabrics can still keep you plenty warm without that gross overheated feeling.
A light weight blazer//sweater//jacket, over a soft tank & a great pair of wide leg pants.
For a more casual feel; pair a cute pullover sweater, with your favorite boyfriend denim, add a leather jacket for some edge & top it off with a super feminine pair of flats//heels. Done & done.
One of my favorite looks during this season; a fitted white tee, denim//chambray topper, awesome printed pants & a simple heel. Effortlessly chic.
2. Add Some Va Va Voom: color is everything during this transition. To help you relinquish your desperate need for an all black ensemble & reintroduce you to pinks, blues, peaches…anything that makes you think of Spring, you’ll need to reach for colors that are complimentary in your color wheel & throw them in the mix. You don’t have to pack away all those darks just yet, but adding Spring-focused colors to each outfit [even as simple as your handbag] can help things move along quickly.
Chartreuse & black are the ultimate duo. Adding this pop of color to your Winter-focused outfit can hurry the Spring season along in a major way.
Don’t want to change out those dark colors just yet? Understandable. Just invest in a fun, bright handbag to keep your look fresh & transitional. A small change that makes you look more fashion forward than ever.
By now you should all know my
obsession love for an amazing blazer, & this is the perfect time to bust one of those babies out. A [colored] fitted blazer will help you ditch those heavy coats & bring a softer layer to your outfit. Not to mention, make you look prepped for basically anything.
3. Print It Up: ditch that entirely solid ensemble you’ve been rocking all Winter & reintroduce yourself to prints. Yes, those floral, patterned, beautiful things that you’ve let sit in the back of your closet for the past eight weeks or so. But don’t forget, you have options here; tribal, floral, animal, chevron, houndstooth, etc. Get creative.
A printed shoe can be exactly what you need to add a little pop of Spring to your once Winter outfit.
A monochromatic printed pant is a subtle way to add dimension, but not take away from the basic feel of an outfit.
Don’t limit yourself to typical prints. Challenge yourself this season to find the most unique & outspoken print you can find, team it with subtle pieces & voila, you’re a fashion icon.
4. OMG Shoes: nothing shows that you’re more prepared for the coming season than the perfect shoe. I know it sounds ridiculous, but how many times have you witnessed an amazing outfit be completely ruined by the wrong shoe? Uhg. Pet Peeve #1. If you’re going to make all the effort in the world on your top half, pay mind to the bottom half while you’re at it. Starting with your feet. Your outfit & stylist [me] will thank you.
One of the easiest ways to transition your footwear is by rocking a black//grey//taupe, edgy sandal with tons of hardware. The dark color & heavy hardware gives a cool Winter feel, with breeziness fit for Spring sunshine.
Not ready to put your cute Winter boots away just yet? Totally fine. Just try to find yourself a pair with a peep-toe for a little sex appeal & a major nod to Spring. [Be sure to wear an awesome, bright toe polish to top it off].
Much like a good blazer, pointed toe flats are basically the loves of my life. They’re so sexy, so chic, & so practical. You can run errands in them, go out with friends, rock a date night, or look like the most put together employee at your next company meeting. Try them in red, blue or grey for an added edge & you’ll be the hottest thing the room.
5. Shaded: clothing is not the only staple that needs revamping between seasons. Your lips should get some love, too. Find yourself a few fun, bold shades that will bring your kissers from the dark to light with one quick swipe.
Twig by MAC is the perfect daily neutral for those of you not quite prepared for Spring just yet.
For some major Spring pop, Candy Yum-Yum by MAC is my go-to color.
MAC’s Kinda Sexy is a fun, subdued transitional color for your lips, if you aren’t prepared to go rogue just yet.
Ready to go pink? Try Pink Plaid by MAC & your wish is my command. Perfect for warm Spring days, this color will help ease the transition away from Winter.
So the next time you find yourself in that terribly awkward place between what is & what should be, remember these tips & solidify exactly how you want to be personified. Stand out & be ahead of the game. Because the grey area sucks anyway.